- Advisors, National Geographic Magazine. Issue 196(2), August 1999, on global culture, Millennium supplement map of linguistic diversity.
- Organizers, video screening “Nature and Culture: Preserving the Diversity of Life”. Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago, Illinois, 18 April 1999.
- Report on the 16th. International Botanical Congress Organizers, symposium “Ethnobotany and Biocultural Diversity Conservation”. 16th International Botanical Congress. St. Louis, Missouri, 1-7 August 1999.
- Language, Culture and Understandings of the Environment: lessons for environmental policy and education Organizers, symposium “Language, Culture, and Understandings of the Environment: Lessons for Environmental Policy and Education”. Northwestern University and Field Museum of Natural History, Evanston and Chicago, Illinois, 16-18 April 1999.
- Cultural and Spiritual Values of Biodiversity Article: Linguistic Diversity (by L. Maffi and T. Skutnabb-Kangas with J. Andrianarivo). In Cultural and Spiritual Values of Biodiversity, D. Posey (ed.). Pp. 21-57. London/Nairobi: Intermediate Technology Publications/UN Environment Programme. Weaving together philosophical, historical, legal, scientific and personal viewpoints, this book gives a rich sample of the vast web which makes up our cultural, spiritual ...